5 Used Cars That Are Surprisingly Good For Winter Driving in 2020
Your blanket cocoon only delays the inevitable. Eventually, you’ll need to head out into the cold, hop into the chilly driver’s seat, and crank the key. If you’re worried your car won’t start or get you to your destination safely, it isn’t just frustrating—it can be dangerous. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade?
You don’t need to rob a bank to buy a trustworthy and winter-ready vehicle. There are many used car and SUV models that can get you through Canada’s tough winter conditions, year after year.
Why buying pre-owned is a great idea this winter
Sure, there’s prestige in buying a new car, but that only lasts as long as the new car scent. So why not consider a second-hand vehicle instead? The advantages of used cars include:
- Saving a huge chunk of change on depreciation. Many new cars depreciate as much as 30% in the first year. Why not let someone else pay that?
- Lower monthly payments. The payments on a used car could be much more manageable than a brand new vehicle.
- Vast selection to choose from. Today, the used car market is impressively robust and there's great value to be found by buyers who know where to look.
- The balance of the factory warranty. When you buy used, the balance of remaining factory warranty transfers over to you, the new owner. Plus, many dealers offer excellent extended warranty options for even longer coverage.
- Quality assurance from the dealership. Before you buy a used car from a dealer, it undergoes a thorough inspection. Certified pre-owned models are even more stringent with some requiring a passing grade on a nearly-200-point checklist.
5 of the best 2nd hand winter cars
The following selection was made according to our writers’ own criteria. Each vehicle made the list for scoring highly in several of the following categories: ground clearance, rugged design, handling on snow and ice, comfort features, fuel economy, and price. Check it out, a couple of our choices may surprise you...
1. Acura TL
If a sedan is more your speed, Acura may be right for you, and specifically, the Acura TL with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD). As one of the most competitively priced luxury brands on the market today, you’ll find any TL is well equipped with creature comforts like heated seats and factory remote start.
While ground clearance on a sedan may not be a top-selling feature, the TL’s ability to combine awesome handling and comfort makes it a top choice for a used winter car. A model around six years old will typically be between $15,000 and $20,000.
2. Toyota Yaris
A low-cost option for a winter car, however unlikely it might seem, is the Toyota Yaris. It’s a four-door sedan or a five-door hatchback powered by a 1.5L four-cylinder engine that sips fuel slower than you do with hot cocoa. The Yaris isn’t manufactured with AWD, but with front-wheel drive and narrow tires, along with your choice of manual transmission or auto tranny, it handles snow and ice rather well.
Rudimentary on the inside, you might be able to afford a newer model that still has powertrain or even comprehensive warranty still in effect. Anything older than the 2017 model year will set you back under $15,000, while a 2008-or-older model could be under $8,000.
3. BMW 3 Series xDrive
If you don’t mind that your used car is outside of warranty, the BMW 3 Series with AWD is a great option. The 3 Series sedan is a wonderful compact luxury car that can offer spirited V6 power, German-engineered handling, and elegant yet quirky interior options.
Our recommendation would be to stick with a BMW 3 Series with xDrive AWD. The rear-wheel-drive alternative would be counter-intuitive. If you’re watching for a deal, you can snag a 3 Series xDrive for under $15,000.
4. Honda CR-V
The fourth-gen Honda CR-V was manufactured from 2011 to 2016. Powered by a 185-hp 2.4L four-cylinder engine and commonly purchased with Realtime All-Wheel-Drive, these compact SUVs are well suited to the climate. Decent ground clearance, a short wheelbase, and awesome fuel economy are just a few benefits you’ll enjoy with this CR-V.
You might even find a 2015 or 2016 model with a factory warranty still in effect. Expect a price range of around $17,000 to $28,000 depending on the trim level, year, and mileage.
5. Hyundai Tucson
There’s no doubt that Hyundai vehicles offer outrageous value, and that goes for a pre-owned Tucson SUV as well. You have a 4-cylinder and a V6 option as well as front-wheel-drive or AWD, so traipsing down snowy or ice-covered roads is no big deal. For example, you can get a ’16 Hyundai Tucson GL AWD model with heated rear outboard seats in addition to heated front seats for snuggly comfort in both rows.
And if you come across a low-mileage vehicle, it may still have factory powertrain warranty in place—that’s a bonus for a crossover SUV you can buy for between $14,000 and $21,000!
Get a great deal with Canada Drives
Did you see a vehicle you like? This list above only scratches the surface of the great deals available in the used car market!
Canada Drives can help you get approved for a quality vehicle at a price that makes sense. get pre-approved in a matter of hours and shop hundreds of certified vehicles online!
Why more Canadians are choosing Canada Drives:
- Massive inventory: Choose from hundreds of certifed cars, trucks, and SUVs—all meticulously inspected and reconditioned by professionals.
- Love It or Return It: With our 7-day guarantee, you don't fully commit to anything until you've had a chance to drive your new car for a few days. Changed your mind about the vehicle? We'll come pick it up and give you your money back.
- Free warranty protection: Your car is covered under our no-charge 30 Day / 1,500 km warranty for added peace-of-mind.
- 1-click CARFAX history reports: Get free CARFAX reports and know the full history of what you’re buying.
- 150-point inspections: Professionally inspected vehicles that meet a high standard of quality.
- All credit scores welcome: Get the vehicle financing you need, even if you have poor credit, no credit, or have filed for bankruptcy.
- Award-winning: Canada Drives is an industry leader and named one of Deloitte’s Best Managed Companies.
- Trusted by Canadians: Hundreds of thousands of Canadians have gotten the car they want thanks to Canada Drives. See what some of them have to say on Trustpilot.
Take the first step to your car purchase today! Get pre-approved in minutes and see what you're eligible for.