Lifestyle and budget changes, newer models on the market, and new lease agreements are just some of the reasons why Canadians will be on the hunt for a new vehicle this year. When it comes to understanding which make and model of vehicle will work best for you, researching automotive manufacturers and learning about the best-selling vehicles in Canada is a good place to start.
Several cars were highly sought-after last year in Canada, and we expect they will continue dominating Canada’s automotive industry. Close to 450,000 new SUVs were purchased in Canada during the first half of 2018, and over 400,000 pickup trucks were sold in 2018. Below is a list that contains Canada’s most popular cars, SUVs and trucks:
Top Selling Cars in Canada
Photo Credit: Honda.ca
The Honda Civic is a common household name in Canada. Over the last two decades, it’s been Canada’s best-selling car. In 2018, approximately 70,000 Honda Civics were driven off the lot of Canadian car dealerships. The latest model of the passenger car, the 2019 Honda Civic, has an estimated cash purchase price of $17,790 before tax. The 2019 Honda Civic is bold, sleek and functional for both families and single-drivers alike.
- Seven-inch audio system with access to display settings and features like Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System with voice recognition, impressive graphics, 3D landmark displays, highway signs, speed limit display, arrival time, lane guidance, multi-angle rearview camera, and wireless charging
- The HondaLink Assist Automatic Emergency Response system which has been designed to automatically put you on call with an operator who will forward your message and location to first responders if there’s been an accident on the road
- Braking System with 4-wheel anti-lock for help maintaining control during hard brakes and detecting panic stops
Photo Credit: Toyota.ca
The Corolla isn’t Canada’s top selling car however, it was Toyota’s best-selling vehicle up until 2015 and continues to remain at the top of the best-seller list. The cash purchase before tax is estimated to be around $22,733, and Canadians interested in financing for 60 months at 0.49 per cent should be prepared to spend just over $400 per month.
Since 2015, Toyota’s RAV4 has been the most popular vehicle sold by the manufacturer, but the 2019 Corolla is equipped with some cutting-edge passenger car features that make it a great option for Canadians looking for a new ride.
- An entertainment system controlled by a 6.1” touch screen with steering wheel controls and an audio system integrated with SiriusXM navigation and satellite radio
- Aerodynamic exterior, automatic LED road lights, auto-dimming rearview mirror, Smart Key and push button start, tire pressure monitoring system, power-adjustable sliding and tilting sunroof
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control which uses a millimeter-wave radar and an on-board camera to help maintain distance with vehicles by changing the car’s speed to better control acceleration and deceleration
- Toyota Safety Sense which consists of a pre-collision system that warns drivers of potential dangers on the road with automatic highway lights, lane department warning signals, and dynamic radar speed controls
Photo Credit: hyundaicanada.com
Another popular option for Canadians looking to buy or finance a passenger car is the Hyundai Elantra, which sold approximately 40,000 units in 2018, and has an estimated cash purchase of $22,594 before tax.
The Elantra is Hyundai’s best-selling vehicle, and the 2019 Elantra has been redesigned to fit the needs of today’s driver with new safety and entertainment technologies.
Canadians who choose to lease this vehicle for 84 months (at zero per cent interest) should be prepared to pay roughly $330 per month with a 20,000 kilometre allowance.
- Redesigned body work which features LED headlights and turn signals, an electric sunroof, 17-inch alloy wheels, door handles with courtesy lights, heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, multimedia display, and two-zone temperature control
- Upgraded interior features including an Infinity premium audio system, reverse parking warning, collision warning for the blind spot, lane departure warning and lane keeping assistance
- Front-end collision avoidance assistance with pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control, and a door opening alert are just some of the safety features for the newest model
- Connectivity for smartphones for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay with a wireless charging station
Top Rated SUVs
Photo Credit: Honda.ca
The Honda CR-V is a leader among best-selling SUVs in Canada. This vehicle boasts an athletic design and innovative technology. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the 2019 Honda CR-V is approximately $27,500, and the vehicle’s 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, roof rails and bold exterior are just some of the luxury features included in this newer model.
- The turbocharged 4-cylinder engine provides the CR-V with 190 horsepower
- Controlled braking, vehicle stability assists with traction control, tire pressure monitoring system, hill start-assist, automatic emergency response system, and a pedestrian safety feature that absorbs energy from the hood and foot fenders for panic braking
- Intelligent control system that includes real time AWD and available hands-free power tailgate
- Honda Sensing Technologies that are designed to make driving safe like a forward collision warning system, adaptive cruise control with low-speed follow, multi-angle rearview camera, and an entire blind spot information system
Photo Credit: Toyota.ca
The Toyota RAV4, Toyota’s best-selling vehicle as mentioned previously, could be yours for a starting price of roughly $28,000. The RAV4 is just one of a variety of models by Toyota, and it’s the second-most popular purchase for Canadian SUV owners. The 2019 Toyota RAV4 is packed with new, intuitive features for tailored driving to match your mood and lifestyle.
- All-new Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 which hosts an advanced suite of safety features including technologies designed to help protect drivers, passengers, and other vehicles on the road. Some of these features include: full-speed range dynamic radar cruise control, lane departure alerts with steering assist and road edge detection, automatic high beams, and pre-collision systems with pedestrian and bicycle detection
- Towing strength power up to 3,500 lbs
- The RAV4 Hybrid comes equipped with a redesigned system battery that is lighter and can charge for longer distances, 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels, and LED projector beam headlights
- In-suite systems including a multimedia touch-screen display which hosts smart technologies including App Suite Connect, Scout GPS Link, Safety Connect, Destination Assist, Apple CarPlay, Qi Wireless Charging and an Energy Monitor
Photo Credit: Ford.ca
A functional and practical option for Canadians, the Ford Escape offers versatile seating and cargo combinations. Pricing starts around $25,500 and leasing options are available for approximately $420 per month. The 2019 Ford Escape has been redesigned from previous models to include more cargo capacity, a hands-free and foot-activated liftgate, and a maximum 3,500 lb towing capacity.
- Driver-assist features including Ford Safe and Smart, blind spot information with cross-traffic alert, lane keeping system, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning with brake support and enhanced park assist
- A four-wheel-drive system that monitors traction and road conditions every 16 milliseconds to ensure precise handling and traction at all times
- Intelligent Access with push-button starts, available reverse sending systems, and up to 1,925L of cargo capacity
- Multi-functional centre console with media bin which includes two USB ports
Best Selling Trucks
Photo Credit: Ford.ca
At the end of 2018, Ford’s F-150 was Canada’s best-selling vehicle for the tenth consecutive year in a row. Ford F-150’s accounted for 37 percent of truck sales and 7 percent of all auto sales nation-wide (source:). With superior off-road ability and high towing power for work or play, the manufacturer’s rate for the 2019 Ford F-150 is $28,155.
- Multiple engines to deliver a balance of power and fuel economy
- Aluminum-alloy body with the ability to tow up to 13,200 lbs and available productivity features like the innovative BoxLink system
- Advanced technologies including an in-suite blind spot information system as well as convenience features including Pro Trailer Backup Assist
- Option to choose from a lineup of six advanced engines for the high-strength, military-grade body which is lighter than steel but just as strong
Dodge Ram Trucks
Photo Credit: Ramtrucks.com
Although Ram sales dropped an average of more than 1,100 units per month in 2018, it’s sales remained high reaching nearly 100,000 units last year. Ram’s new 1500-series pickup truck is lighter than ever due to wider use of high-strength steel and aluminum transmission which creates an aerodynamic efficiency that truck drivers will love. The 2019 Ram 1500 starts at $33,340 and AWD models of the newest edition are approximately $36,900. Additionally, the 2019 North American Car, Utility and Truck of the Year (NACTOY) awards named the all-new Ram 1500 as the North American Truck of the Year.
- A functional interior that includes a wireless device charging station and USB ports
- Towing capacity up to 12,750 lbs, a max payload of up to 2,300 lbs, and a wider bed that delivers larger cargo volume for extended rear legroom and tons of storage
- A Best-in-Class light-duty gas fuel economy rating thanks to variable-cam timing with dual-independent cam phasing, a belt starter-generator system and thermal management system
- Safety features including blind spot detection, a forward collision warning system, an available 360-degree surround view around the vehicle, and adaptive cruise control with a stop and go system that can slow the vehicle down to a virtual stop
GMC Sierra 1500
Photo Credit: Gmccanada.ca
In 2018, GM owned 32 percent of Canada’s truck market (source:). The 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 has a starting manufacturer rate of $36,300 and comes with driver-focused details, excellent handling and performance, and active safety technologies. With a revolutionary design and capability, the 2019 Sierra 1500 is a great option for interested truck drivers looking for a new vehicle this year.
- Safety features including an HD rear vision camera, a lane changing alert system with blind zone alerts, forward collision alert, rear cross traffic alert, safety seat alert, low speed forward automatic baking, front and rear park assist, lane departure warning, and front pedestrian braking which is designed to alert the driver and even provide slight brake pressure when approaching another vehicle or pedestrian to avoid collision
- Intuitive technology consisting of an interface with voice recognition, rear set reminders, Apple CarPlay compatibility, Android Auto Compatibility, USB connections, a wireless charging pad, and a Bose premium sound system
- The all-new traction select system allows drivers to choose from preset drive models which are tailored to different terrain and weather conditions
- Advanced powertrains, smart storage solutions, and new sound-absorbing technology used in the dash and carpet of the vehicle
Where To Find the Best Used Cars
Your future vehicle might end up being one of the cars, SUVs, and trucks listed above. Do you have a favourite? Canada Drives has been helping Canadians get behind the wheels of their preferred vehicles since 2010. We specialize in working with Canadians facing all types of credit situations and applying with us to see what you’re eligible for is free. If you’re Canadian and interested in financing a new vehicle, visit Canada Drives right now to see how we can get you driving!